Friday, October 28, 2011

Sprint Tri Training

I want this bike that can apparently ride on water.

Life is good folks. I have been pretty dedicated to training for the upcoming Fearless Races Sprint Triathlon and keeping all the fighters busy with strength training. Though there has been a slew of moderate to almost bad injuries keeping training interesting to say the least, I have adjusted every one's fitness routine to work around these pretty standard annoyances. Combat sports are hard on the body for those who don't understand why injury would be a part of training, it's an unfortunate side effect of elite level training in any sport, for that matter. Back to the point.

Training for a sprint tri- (sprint tri-s are roughly half the distance of a normal tri)
I trained for 8-10 weeks for this one and it should be noted this is my first sprint tri and/or triathlon for that matter. I may be one of the worlds worst swimmers and also have never been an endurance style athlete.

Week 1-
Assess your weaknesses. Swim 10 laps for time, bike 6 miles at least a 14mph average, run 2-3 miles in less then 8.5 minute miles. Not all on the same day necessarily, if you can do all these on the same day you're ready for your sprint tri, keep doing what your doing and take a nap.
I was very weak in the swimming and fine on the running and biking.

Weeks 2 through 6-
Start working on your weakest areas while doing "bricks" of your stronger areas. A "brick" is back to back of any of the 3 parts of your tri. I commonly brick bike + swim + bike or bike + run.
Don't over work, do a brick every 3 days and work your weakest area 2-3 days a week. Use of intervals in all areas actually helps gain stamina better then going longer, so mix them in.
- Biking 4-5 days a week easy pace with occasional intervals 4-9 miles a day.
- Swim 2-4 times a week for 30-40 minutes taking all the breaks I wanted.
- Walking 1-2 days a week 3-4 miles. If you run once a week walk twice and vice verse.
- Running 1-2 days 1-1.5 miles in a brick with biking 8 min miles.

Weeks 7 through 10-
All the same training as weeks 2-6 just turned up the speed and distance as much as possible.
- Biking 4-5 days a week easy pace with occasional intervals 8-12 miles a day.
- Swim 2-4 times a week for 30-40 minutes taking breaks only after 4 laps and for 10 secs or less.
- Walking 1-2 days a week 3-4 miles.
- Running 1-2 days 1.5 miles in a brick with biking 8 min miles.

I noticed biking got really easy just because I was doing it almost every day. Swimming gained slowly but I'm much better than I was, still not even close to a confident swimmer. I will let you all know how this training payed off, if I don't drown of course!

Genius-

2 comments: